Quote of the Day

Only two things are guarenteed in life, and we're working on fixing that "death" one.

Zietlos Finance Google Search

Custom Search

August 29, 2010

Why "Lost Scholar"?

The name "Lost Scholar" should invoke certain images and ideas when read: Accomplishment without accomplishment, success without success. I'm only beginning my career, still finishing school, no love life, and job searching in the market of broken dreams. A bachelor with a bachelor's is just a guy with a piece of paper. It is purpose that drives people to success. It is direction that forces humans into a better way of living. I have some direction, I am not hopeless, but with regards to life, goals, love, these are things that I simply do not spend enough time on. I may have direction in business, in taxes, in money, but to love, I am an amateur. To knowledge, in all its vast and infinite scope, I am but a dilettante, dabbling here and there, a jack of many trades, a king of none (though a joker of a few :p ).

Though it may sound a bleak picture, it really is not so: Knowing that I do not know, much like some Buddhist philosophy, is a rather exciting thought: I still have my youth, and seeing all the possibilities to experiment and learn, it can be awful or awesome, really, all depending on the lighting. :) I ask any of my readers, do you have direction? Going west young man, or just down south? :) Either way, take a moment now, I think, and reflect. Being lost can be an interesting thing: the landscape is always new, and there are still places to explore.

Though a mind that is completely open tends to fall out, I try to at least keep mine air-permeable. I'd love to hear your thoughts on your directions.

Another thing I suppose I should clear up now and get it out of the way: A few of my posts will be about my religious preference: none. I am an atheist, until burden of proof is satisfied. In this sense, "Lost Scholar" is a bit of an ironically chosen name, since of course, anyone who can't describe their beliefs in a single word is clearly a single word: Lost. Excusing the multi-faceted post, as this will devolve into a rant a bit, I never really understood such a sentiment. Perhaps it is my lack of knowledge of all the mythos out there, I really only read the stories for their occasional poetry segments, but I cannot really understand why "Lost" is such a negative word. As I mentioned above, it means I am ready to learn new things. Unless, of course, they mean "lost" as the personal possession sense, but I would hope people are past laying claim to other people as property in this day and age.

Admittedly, this admittance is likely to solicit some hostile responses. I've noticed on a few humanist websites I visit that such things can have people riled up. But keeping it civil, I love to discuss anything, even politics and religion, and, since I am always learning, I will hope any commenters extend the same courtesy: I hope you all can become a bit lost with me, unless I've lost some of you, and we can explore this strange world together. Wow that sounds really cheesy. How about "We can work as a team to better our knowledge of life, the universe, and everything"? Nah, too long.

It seems my first quest has arisen! Commeters: I need a less cheesy way to say that last line! Any advice helps! Hopefully I haven't scared too many people off.

tl;dr: Should I add a tl;dr to longer posts such as these ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment